No Kid Hungry and Kellogg are proud to present Breakfast After the Bell funding for schools across the United States.
Grants will support schools with the purchase of equipment, materials and promotional initiatives facilitating Breakfast After the Bell delivery models (such as Breakfast in the Classroom, Grab and Go, or Second Chance Breakfast) in an effort to increase student participation in school breakfast. Please apply for one school per grant application. It is possible to apply for multiple school grants within one district; however, we still request one application per school. Kellogg generously supports this grants funding.
Applying schools must participate, or plan to participate, in the National School Breakfast Program and either be implementing or be prepared to implement a Breakfast After the Bell delivery model. Successful models include collaboration of many stakeholders in the school district, including the school principal, teachers, custodial and cafeteria staff, school nutrition director, and superintendent. All applications must have authorized approval by the school principal and school nutrition director.
While all schools who plan to implement breakfast after the bell can apply for funding, No Kid Hungry will evaluate approvals based on the following:
- Priority to schools that have 30% - 70% Free/Reduced Priced eligibility or participate in Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) or Provision 2
- Priority to school under 60% current Free/Reduced breakfast participation
Eligible Uses of Grant Funds Include
- The purchase of equipment, such as insulated bags and grab-and-go carts;
- The purchase of supplies, such as trash cans and trash bags or other items associated with operating the Breakfast After the Bell program;
- The purchase of technology, such as a point of service machines; and
- The purchase of materials needed for breakfast promotion, such as banners and ads.
As a general rule, we do not provide funding for the cost of food.
Maximum request amount: $5,500 per school
While all schools are welcome to apply, proposals from the following states will also be prioritized: California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Washington.
|Greater Bay Area||California|
|Washington||District of Colombia|
|Blue Anchor||New Jersey|
|New York||New York|
Full Program Details
Priority Breakfast Models:
Approved Breakfast After the Bell models include:
Breakfast in the Classroom
Breakfast is offered/served in the classroom and eaten in the classroom after the bell rings.
Grab and Go to the Classroom, served at the start of the school day.
Breakfast is offered/served from one or more central locations at the start of the day only. Students have the option to eat it in their classroom after the bell has rung.
Second Chance Breakfast, served grab-and-go style to the classroom.
Breakfast is offered/served from one or more central locations. Students have the option to pick it up between 1st and 2nd period to eat it in their classroom after the bell has rung.
Second Chance Breakfast, eaten in the cafeteria.
Breakfast is offered/served and eaten in the cafeteria between 1st and 2nd period and students have at least 15 minutes to eat.
Grab and Go to Common Area (must receive No Kid Hungry preapproval)
Breakfast is offered/served from one or more central locations, and students must finish their breakfast in a common area before going to their classroom.
To apply for a No Kid Hungry grant, please follow the directions:
- Ensure that you are using either Mozilla Firefox or Chrome browsers to access our portal. Please do not use Internet Explorer as it will cause unintended technical difficulties.
- You must first be logged in to our No Kid Hungry Grants Portal by visiting: https://nokidhungrygrants.force.com/. If you do not have an account, please first make sure to register here.
- If you have an account but have trouble logging in, please reset your password here or email our help desk at email@example.com. Please note that your username is the first half of your email. For instance, firstname.lastname@example.org has a username of janedoe.
- You may review our FAQs and other helpful documents that address technical assistance and resources with detailed instructions for completing this application, by visiting our Help Desk Resources Page.
- After you have logged in with your user account, you must come back to this website and click the following link: https://nokidhungrygrants.force.com/FGM_Portal__CommunitySignupRejected?id=a0l4100000EgcYiAAJ&ln=en_US
- Complete the application and click “save and next” before hitting “submit”
- If you are submitting multiple applications, you will need to click the link in step five again.
- Please send the required letters of support from the School Nutrition Director and Principal when you submit your application. All letters should be sent in one email to email@example.com with subject line: Kellogg Letters of Support City, State
Before starting the application, please plan to have the following information available:
- School level breakfast and lunch participation data for the most recent month of October, the average daily participation from the previous school year and total school enrollment
- Food Service Director and application point of contact information
- Breakfast model you plan to implement, anticipated start date, and anticipated number of additional students added to school breakfast program.
- Key strategies you have taken/plan to take to implement your program and anticipated challenges
- Please include all ideas for engaging Kellogg staff in volunteer opportunities, and interest in media events planned by Kellogg to promote and spread awareness about your accomplishments in school breakfast in the field titled “Please share any additional strategies or innovative ideas you plan to implement in your school breakfast programs.”
- Detailed budget outline of grant request
As a condition of this grant, your organization agrees to host a site visit or launch event, which may include publicity efforts relating to this grant, by either No Kid Hungry and/or Kellogg employees. While all grantees should be open to hosting visits, sites selected are dependent on sponsor and school schedules and availability.
Grant applications will be evaluated based on:
- Adherence to Eligibility Guidelines
- Program sustainability beyond the grant funding period
- Growth potential for breakfast participation
- Opportunities for volunteer engagement of Kellogg employees
Application Due Date:
The online application will close on September 30th, 2018.
If funded, you will be required to complete a report on the following:
- Monthly participation numbers throughout a 12 month time period.
- Final financial report on use of funds (at the end of the grant cycle)
- Final narrative report on the successes and challenges of your program over the course of the year
- The Breakfast Application Guide can be found here: www.nokidhungry.org/grantshelpdesk (if clicking on this link does not work, please copy/paste this into your internet browser)
- Breakfast Pre-implementation Check List
If you have any questions about the application or breakfast after the bell implementation, please contact via email with a description of the issue you are facing to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-649-4342.