Applying for a Grant
Our Grant Strategy
A primary focus of our efforts to end childhood hunger is our state and city-based No Kid Hungry campaigns. These campaigns bring together key groups from the private and public sectors to create sustainable partnerships that are working together to end childhood hunger.
In addition to these partnerships, Share Our Strength continues to build on our nationwide work to end childhood hunger through our No Kid Hungry grants. Share Our Strength’s No Kid Hungry grants utilize funds raised through our Bake Sale for No Kid Hungry, Dine Out For No Kid Hungry, and other sources to support innovative programs that help improve children’s access to programs that help address hunger.
Our Programmatic Priorities
Share Our Strength awards grants to nonprofit organizations, schools, and other eligible organizations who are involved in the following activities:
- Increasing access to summer meals programs supported through the Summer Food Service Program or the National School Lunch "Seamless Summer" Program.
- Educating and enrolling more eligible families in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program.
- Increasing the availability of school breakfast through alternative models such as “in-classroom” breakfast and “grab-n-go” breakfasts.
- Increasing access to afterschool snack and meal programs, as well as child care programs, supported through the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP).
- Advocacy around any of the above anti-hunger issues.
Average Grant Size: $5,000 - $10,000.
Organizations that have received grants from Share Our Strength within the previous two years will be automatically notified of available grant opportunities. For all others, please submit a Letter of Inquiry. The letter should:
- Be no more than two pages (one page is preferred)
- Describe how your proposed program will help increase access to the programs outlined in our program priorities
- Be emailed to email@example.com, with the subject line "NKH proposal - name of organization - program" (i.e. summer, afterschool, SNAP, etc.)
Notification: We will notify you within two weeks if we will be inviting you to send a full proposal.